The Council of Applied Folk Arts was founded in 1953. From 2004 on, it is operating as the Applied Folk Arts Section of the Folk Arts Department at the Hungarian Heritage House.
The General Manager and the Applied Folk Art Section are supported by the Applied Folk Art Advisory Board.
The Applied Folk Arts Section supervises the Museum of Applied Hungarian Folk Art. The museum has a collection of approximately 9,000 items scattered in local applied folk arts museums throughout the country. The Budapest head museum also holds a considerable amount of exhibition material.